Answers to the most common questions

Yes, we are a 501(c)3 organization. This means the United States federal government has designated us as a non-profit charity. Our tax ID number is 46-0417196.
Cheyenne River Indian Outreach is located in Eagle Butte, South Dakota which is located on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation.
Cheyenne River Indian Outreach receives 74% of our funding through donations from generous friends like you. The remaining 26% comes from state and federal funding for placement of adolescent children.

The Family Violence Center provides housing for individuals and children fleeing abusive situations. We provide personal advocacy, legal advocacy and support while victims recover from trauma.

Our Child Services Center provides group foster care, assessment services and community reintegration for children ages 10-18 who have experienced abuse or neglect.

We are also active in domestic violence and awareness education in schools and within the community.

Greg Fisher, longtime Chemical Dependency Counselor, is the Director at Cheyenne River Indian Outreach.
  • Money Management Programming for youth
  • Group counseling to discuss healthy relationships
  • Child abuse/neglect training
  • Health fairs
  • Women’s Health Conference
  • Student presentations
  • Community education
During the past year, Family Violence Services served 272 people and the adolescent center served 169 youth. We reached an additional 2,616 persons through health fairs, training sessions, a foster child gift drive and community education.
Some Native American casinos around the country are doing well. They generally fund important improvements for their own tribes, such as schools and hospitals. There are no casinos on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation. Because we are in a very rural area, there is no large population from which to draw customers.
Yes. Our organization is owned and operated by the Congregation of the Priests of the Sacred Heart. However, our services are available for people of all faiths.

We gratefully accept donations of clothing and household items.

Items go to our Bear Necessities Thrift Store in order to provide affordable clothing for people on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation.

Also, families who come to us for help are allowed to “shop” there for free to replace clothing and household items they were forced to leave behind when fleeing abusive situations.

Students at the Child Services Center are encouraged to take part in inipipurification — ceremonies (often referred to as the sweat lodge) located at our facility. Students also have the opportunity to connect with tribal elders. Grassroots efforts on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation to restore Lakota (Sioux) traditions and practices are strong.
The students at our Child Services Center are usually in the custody of the Department of Social Services, Tribal Protection Agency or Bureau of Indian Affairs. These entities have legal custody and Cheyenne River Indian Outreach has physical custody. We are responsible for their well-being, daily care and rehabilitation.
Minor medical emergencies are handled through a local clinic in Eagle Butte. Severe injuries or illness require a drive to a hospital either 90 or 170 miles away, depending on the severity of the situation.
Because of our small staff, we are only able to handle day-to-day operations and the 24-hour needs of our clients. Therefore, all monetary donations are sent separately to PO Box 500, Chamberlain SD 57325, where they are professionally processed.
Yes. Board members are now:
  • Fr. Joseph Dean
  • Fr. Dan Juelfs
  • Fr. Anthony Kluckman
  • Dee A. LeBeau Hein
  • Carmen O’Leary
  • Mike Tyrell
Licensing for the Child Services Center portion of Cheyenne River Indian Outreach services comes from the South Dakota Department of Social Services. As a part of state licensing requirements to provide group home care for adolescents 24 hours per day, the Child Services Center meets standards regarding supervision, safety and nutrition.

The Child Services Center has a license review meeting each year with the South Dakota Department of Social Services. The review includes an evaluation of training provided to staff and care policies and procedures, as well as interviews with clients and personnel.

The domestic violence shelter receives some of its funding through grants from the Federal Government, through the South Dakota Department of Social Services. While our state does not “license” domestic violence shelters, they undergo regular evaluations by the South Dakota Department of Social Services. These evaluations include reviews of policy and procedure to ensure compliance with the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), as well as financial reports. These requirements must be met in order to continue to receive this portion of the funding needed to keep our doors open.

Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? Please contact us right away!